In the Face of Darkness

Yesterday was one of those days when the bad news kept on coming.  The Russian ambassador was murdered in Ankarra.  A terrorist drove into a crowded Christmas market in Berlin.  Closer to home, the final consequential act of the 2016 presidential election took place reminding us of the divisions in our own country.  It was a dark day.

Now, as I reflect on this, I contemplate the funeral service I will lead later this afternoon and the conversation I had with the family, which does not belong to the church I serve, and I have hope.  The family members have a variety of different understandings about religion yet their focus was on celebrating the life of their beloved and supporting each other during a difficult time.  In contrast to the darkness, in a moment opened by death, the light shone through.

 We welcome the light during this season of Advent because we know its source and we recognize our need.  Welcoming the Christ child into our lives is the way we who follow the path of Jesus can face the darkness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power