It's Not About the Bunnies!

As I approached the children's section of the bookstore this morning I saw a sign on a table advertising "Easter Books."  As a member in good standing of the liturgical-industrial complex, my first thought was "It's still Lent!"  That, of course, proved to be the least of my concerns for as I looked at the books on offer, I saw a whole lot of volumes featuring cute little bunnies and not one as far as I could tell about Jesus.  So, my internal rant changed to, "It's not about the bunnies!"

Now, I like cute furry animals as much as the next guy.  But the most important important day of the Christian year and, I would argue, the world-changing event it marks is not about cute critters but God's saving, reconciling act on the cross.  Unfortunately, we Christians, as much as marketers, often lose sight of this truth.  We'll spend lots of time focusing on the joy of the day, the hope of spring and new life, but we'll conveniently miss what makes all of this necessary: our need to be redeemed by God.  The good news, of course, is that God does claim each of us as his own, doing so freely, in love, in the hope that we will respond with loves shaped by faithfulness and a willingness to follow the path of Jesus.

So, it's still not about the bunnies.  But if seeing books about rabbits can get us to to climb down off our soap boxes and reflect anew on what this season is all about, then all I can say is, "Hop to it!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Safe Harbor