Free

This morning I was given my cup of tea gratis at the place where I often go to pick up my morning Joe (or during Lent, tea).  I had the money out, but it was declined.  They manager does this on occasion for regular customers.  While I could use one of their coffee club cards, this is easier, has the element of a good surprise, and serves as a reminder of grace.  Technically, it's not the same.  I have, after all, done something to earn the reward.  But its mechanics are reminiscent of God's generosity: it occurs at unexpected times, without any directly prompting action on my part.  I show up, I leave with a free drink.

Grace works like that.  We show up, we leave with a blessing.  Sometimes grace is manifested in great ways, other times in the smallest of things.  Yet it happens, sometimes when we think we need it, other times when all seems right with the world. And it always seems like a surprise, the unanticipated occurrence of something good that, if only for a moment, reconfigures our lives.  So this day, I pray that each of us has minds that are open, eyes that are focused, ears that are attuned, souls that are on fire, ready to receive our God's grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power