Coffee

As many of you know, it's my Lenten practice to give up coffee for Lent.  It gives me an opportunity to think each day about Lent, what God has done for me, and what I should be doing during this season.  It does NOT make me feel holy or sanctified.  Just like I'm doing something I should be doing.  I considered giving up giving up coffee this year and was undecided until the last minute but then Ash Wednesday came and, bam, I was back to drinking tea.  Some of you might say, so what?  You're still getting a caffeine hit.  But that's not why I drink coffee.  I like the taste.  And as much as a good cup of tea is, it's not the same as coffee.

What has struck me this Lent is how even old habits can feel new, how a flagging dedication can be revived.  Thanks to the Holy Spirit, my discipline doesn't leave me feeling that I'm just going through the motions.  Instead, this Lent feels live and important to me.

That said, I still want my coffee.   Fortunately, Easter is only a few weeks away ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Safe Harbor