Fasting

Confession time: I've never really gotten the idea of fasting.  I know why we do it and what it's supposed to facilitate.  But the truth is, I get hungry.  And instead of setting aside my appetites and wants in favor of prayer and God, I focus on them even more.  So, why bother?  Why bother with abstinence?  This year, I find myself missing my coffee something fierce.  It's not working for me.  Ah, for me.  But it's not about me is it?  Or at least it should not be about me.  It really is about God.  Who, we Christians confess, came to us to be with us, live with us, die for us.  Talk about giving up something. It doesn't make my forfeiture of coffee or a meal seem all that onerous.  I'll keep abstaining from coffee, I may even try fasting.  I won't like it.  But if I do it enough, I may break through my reservations and find myself closer to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power