Honesty

Psalm 6

1 O Lord, rebuke me not in your wrath; neither chasten me in your fierce anger.

2 Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am weak; Lord, heal me, for my bones are racked.

3 My soul also shakes with terror; how long, O Lord, how long?

4 Turn again, O Lord, and deliver my soul; save me for your loving mercy’s sake.

5 For in death no one remembers you; and who can give you thanks in the grave?

6 I am weary with my groaning; every night I drench my pillow and flood my bed with my tears.

7 My eyes are wasted with grief and worn away because of all my enemies.

8 Depart from me, all you that do evil, for the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping.

9 The Lord has heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer.

10 All my enemies shall be put to shame and confusion; they shall suddenly turn back in their shame.


Reflection

This psalm is wrenching in its honesty. The fear, the concern, the bluntness, the grief that are expressed are gripping. Yet also to be found here is hope.


Hope?


Yes, hope. This psalm reminds us that when we pray to God we are engaged in a relationship, one that is rooted in trust, honesty, and mutuality. There is a place for praise and supplication. But in our prayer life there is also space for venting, fear, concern. There is nothing we can’t bring before God, who is always with us. And knowing that, there is hopefully nothing we can’t confront during this season of reflection and penitence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Safe Harbor