Put Down That Rock!

John 8.48-end

The Jews answered him, ‘Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?’ Jesus answered, ‘I do not have a demon; but I honour my Father, and you dishonour me. Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is one who seeks it and he is the judge. Very truly, I tell you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.’ The Jews said to him, ‘Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, and so did the prophets; yet you say, “Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.” Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets also died. Who do you claim to be?’ Jesus answered, ‘If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, he of whom you say, “He is our God”, though you do not know him. But I know him; if I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you. But I do know him and I keep his word. Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day; he saw it and was glad.’ Then the Jews said to him, ‘You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?’ Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am.’ So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.


Reflection

As I read these verses, the form of the exchange caught my attention. Jesus’ opponents don’t make accusations; they ask leading questions. They don’t want to charge Jesus; they want him to incriminate himself. When Jesus rejects the notion that he has a demon (and ignores the charge that he’s a Samaritan), his foes try a different tack, setting Jesus up against Abraham. When that doesn’t work, they finally set aside the questions and pick up rocks with which to stone him – even before he’s left the temple.


That last detail is especially disturbing. Those who claim to defend the true faith in God are ready to defile with violence what is supposedly God’s house. This inclination, to use a term that isn’t much in vogue in mainline churches, is Satanic. Evil can manifest itself in subtle ways. It can do its greatest damage under the guise of protecting the sacred when in reality its only goal is subversion of the holy. We in the church (not just FCC, but any and every church) must always be on guard lest we succumb to this particular temptation. Lent, of course, is a great time for us to look into our hearts, gain perspective, and set aside any of the rocks we’ve been preparing to throw.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Safe Harbor