Seven

The Seven Last Words

The First Word: Father, forgive them

Luke 23.32-34

32Two others also, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. 33When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified Jesus* there with the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. (34Then Jesus said, ‘Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.’)* And they cast lots to divide his clothing.


The Second Word: With me in paradise

Luke 23.39-43

39One of the criminals who were hanged there kept deriding* him and saying, ‘Are you not the Messiah?* Save yourself and us!’ 40But the other rebuked him, saying, ‘Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41And we indeed have been condemned justly, for we are getting what we deserve for our deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong.’ 42Then he said, ‘Jesus, remember me when you come into* your kingdom.’ 43He replied, ‘Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.’


The Third Word: Woman, behold your Son

John 19.26-27

26When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, ‘Woman, here is your son.’ 27Then he said to the disciple, ‘Here is your mother.’ And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home.


The Fourth Word: My God, why have you forsaken me?

Mark 15.34-35

34At three o’clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, ‘Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?’ which means, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’* 35When some of the bystanders heard it, they said, ‘Listen, he is calling for Elijah.’


The Fifth Word: I thirst

John 19.28-29

28 After this, when Jesus knew that all was now finished, he said (in order to fulfil the scripture), ‘I am thirsty.’ 29A jar full of sour wine was standing there. So they put a sponge full of the wine on a branch of hyssop and held it to his mouth.


The Sixth Word: It is finished

John 19.30

30When Jesus had received the wine, he said, ‘It is finished.’ Then he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.


The Seventh Word: Father, into your hands I commend my spirit

Luke 23.46

46Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, ‘Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.’ Having said this, he breathed his last.


Reflection

On Good Friday we recall the crucifixion of Jesus, the moment when darkness overwhelms the earth. The desire to escape from this moment is strong, but it must be resisted. Instead, we need to confront what happened on the cross. Only by doing so can we fully appreciate how lost humans can be, how deep God’s love for us truly is, and why we are need of God’s grace. So take a moment or two to stand at the foot of the cross with Mary and the Beloved Disciple. Consider what has happened. Reflect. Mourn. Pray.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power