Psalm 23: It's Personal

Read this beloved psalm carefully and you'll notice that a small but significant shift takes place: Verses 1 through 3 refer to God as "he" - the third person is used.  But in verses 4 and 5, God becomes "thou" - the second person.  What does this mean?  For the psalmist, we see his confidence in God made manifest.  When things get tough, when disaster looms, he doesn't offer a theological assertion, "The Lord will be with you."  Instead, he states what to him is the obvious, "You are with me."  For the psalmist, God is an ever-present benefactor, source of strength, companion.

The good news this day is that God is also a companion for us and we still have three more weeks of Lent to figure out what we've been doing and not doing to create distance between ourselves and the Lord and to then make changes.  Think about it, pray about it.  And remember: it's personal.

Psalm 23
1The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power