Psalm 88: This Is It

The psalmist and his contemporaries believed that this life was it.  The notion of a full-fledged afterlife didn't take hold in the Jewish world until fairly late in the Biblical day.  While one might continue as a shade, the idea of an ongoing existence with one's defined personality intact wasn't part of the mental or spiritual landscape.  So, death really was final and therefore the premium on making the most of this life was exceedingly high.

We can't say what comes after this life; we can only confess a belief.  But whether one believes that the days we have on this earth are but a prelude to something else or the only turn on the merry-go-round that we'll enjoy, there's something to be said about living this life as if it's all we've got. But if this is true, then what should we do with our time?  During Lent, as we reflect on our sins and the possibilities for growth and change and repentance,  we can contemplate this question, pray upon it, and turn to God with the hope and faith that we'll make the most of the precious gift of being here that we have received from our Maker.


1 O LORD, my God, my Savior, *
by day and night I cry to you.
2 Let my prayer enter into your presence; *
incline your ear to my lamentation.
3 For I am full of trouble; *
my life is at the brink of the grave.
4 I am counted among those who go down to the Pit; *
I have become like one who has no strength;
5 Lost among the dead, *
like the slain who lie in the grave,
6 Whom you remember no more, *
for they are cut off from your hand.
7 You have laid me in the depths of the Pit, *
in dark places, and in the abyss.
8 Your anger weighs upon me heavily, *
and all your great waves overwhelm me.
9 You have put my friends far from me;
you have made me to be abhorred by them; *
I am in prison and cannot get free.
10 My sight has failed me because of trouble; *
LORD, I have called upon you daily;
I have stretched out my hands to you.
11 Do you work wonders for the dead? *
will those who have died stand up and give you thanks?
12 Will your loving-kindness be declared in the grave? *
your faithfulness in the land of destruction?
13 Will your wonders be known in the dark? *
or your righteousness in the country where all is forgotten?
14 But as for me, O LORD, I cry to you for help; *
in the morning my prayer comes before you.
15 LORD, why have you rejected me? *
why have you hidden your face from me?
16 Ever since my youth, I have been wretched and at the point of death; *
I have borne your terrors with a troubled mind.
17 Your blazing anger has swept over me; *
your terrors have destroyed me;
18 They surround me all day long like a flood; *
they encompass me on every side.
19 My friend and my neighbor you have put away from me, *
and darkness is my only companion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power