Psalm 132: Priorities

According to the psalmist, David vowed that finding a place for God took precedence over establishing one for himself.  David, of course, never did get to build a temple; that work was left to Solomon, a result of David's transgressions.  Still, in this case, the intent counts and counts for a lot, for it still created a framework within which David could shape his life.  During Lent, we are called to reflect upon our priorities.  What takes precedence for us?  God or something, someone else?  Will we, like David, continue to keep God front and center even when we stumble, even when we suspect all of our dreams won't come true?  Or will we falter, seeing God as not a priority but a passing fancy?  David persevered, offering an example of the faith of a flawed king, imperfect person - in short, someone like ourselves.  Take heart, then, and find a new place for God.

Psalm 132
1  LORD, remember David, *
and all the hardships he endured;
2  How he swore an oath to the LORD *
and vowed a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
3  “I will not come under the roof of my house, *
nor climb up into my bed;
4  I will not allow my eyes to sleep, *
nor let my eyelids slumber;
5  Until I find a place for the LORD, *
a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.”
6  “The ark! We heard it was in Ephratah; *
we found it in the fields of Jearim.
7  Let us go to God’s dwelling place; *
let us fall upon our knees before God’s footstool.”
8  Arise, O LORD, into your resting-place, *
you and the ark of your strength.
9  Let your priests be clothed with righteousness; *
let your faithful people sing with joy.
10  For your servant David’s sake, *
do not turn away the face of your anointed.
11  The LORD has sworn an oath to David; *
and in truth will not break it:
12  “A son, the fruit of your body *
will I set upon your throne.
13  If your children keep my covenant
and my testimonies that I shall teach them, *
their children will sit upon your throne for evermore.”
14  For the LORD has chosen Zion, *
and desired it for the holy habitation:
15  “This shall be my resting-place for ever; *
here will I dwell, for in Zion I delight.
16  I will surely bless the provisions of Zion, *
and satisfy its poor with bread.
17  I will clothe its priests with salvation, *
and its faithful people will rejoice and sing.
18  There will I make the horn of David flourish; *
I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.
19  As for his enemies, I will clothe them with shame; *
but as for him, his crown will shine.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power