Psalm 54: Help

This psalm, with its cry for assistance, is notable for both the confidence it reflects in God's power and in the intimate nature of the relationship its author has with his (or her) maker.  A remarkable thing that: the one who created the universe is described as a helper.  And the use of the adjective here isn't an instance of hubris on the part of the psalmist, one of those instances when a mortal believes the deity can be manipulated through the use of incantations and sacrificial bribes, but instead is one rooted in a deep, personal relationship.  God is a companion, someone close by who can be trusted, relied upon.  God is indeed a helper.

During this Lenten season, as we reflect on our lives of faith, we can consider how we, created in God's image, can better emulate the one who made us.  And so, with a nod to Psalm 54, we can ask: ow can we be better, more faithful helpers?

1Save me, O God, by your Name; *
in your might, defend my cause.
2 Hear my prayer, O God; *
give ear to the words of my mouth.
3 For the arrogant have risen up against me,
and the ruthless have sought my life, *
those who have no regard for God.
4 Behold, God is my helper; *
it is the Lord who sustains my life.
5 Render evil to those who spy on me; *
in your faithfulness, destroy them.
6 I will offer you a freewill sacrifice *
and praise your Name, O LORD, for it is good.
7 For you have rescued me from every trouble, *
and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power