Yet More Perspective

Our water was finally restored at the end of the day yesterday.  At times I wasn't sure it would happen - I spoke with a DPW representative at 8 am.  A plumber came by to modify our connection to the city water main at noon.  I was feeling optimistic.  But then ... nothing.  Nobody came to do the next part of the project.  In a sense, things were worse than before since we were now actually disconnected from the water supply.  By 4 I was frustrated.  After two days I was tired of having to leave my house to wash up or go to the bathroom.  I pulled out the phone book to call the public works office.  And then the men arrived with their machine.  An hour later, the water was flowing.  I was relieved, even happy.

Though far more banal and far less important than the events that we commemorate at the end of Lent, I felt that this episode was offering me a preview of the emotions that we can experience during Holy Week and Easter.  Consider: All is normal, then things suddenly change.   Anxiety and concern mount, followed by frustration, hopelessness, maybe even despair.  Finally, when all seems lost, Love conquers Death on the Cross, and hope is restored.  Maybe you have an incident or experience that can help you live into the depths and the richness of this season, something to hold onto, something to carry during these days and nights of Lent.  I hope and pray you do.  And if you don't, that you soon have one - just one that doesn't involve frozen pipes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power