At the Dump

I went to the dump this morning with large shipping cartons filled with packing styrofoam, a bit worried I'd be told to bring the stuff back broken down and bagged.  When I pulled up to the booth where the staff check what one has to dispose, I told the attendant what I had.  He asked me if I planned to throw the boxes and styrofoam directly into the dumpster.  I replied that I actually thought I'd shake out the styrofoam and put the boxes into recycling.  His face lit up.  "A lot of people wouldn't bother to do that," he said gratefully.  "Thanks."  In that exchange, the anxiety we each experienced disappeared.  It was a small thing that cause us each apprehension, but it was real.  In a moment, it was gone. 

We often seem to look for things to worry about.  When we do this, when we create new anxieties for ourselves, we have less time for other things - like God.  As we continue to move through Lent, we can still take up disciplines and give up things.  Something we might let go is needless anxiety.  In doing so, we'll create more space for the things that matter, especially God and God's people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power