Pray Like You Mean It

This morning, as I prepared to eat breakfast, I offered a prayer.  As I was doing so, I realized what I was sharing with God was rather pro forma.  True, I'm not feeling well today.  But that's not a reason, it's an excuse.  So I stopped.  Then I began again, really thinking about my blessings, my gratitude for the food I was about to eat, and all of the good things God has done in my life.  I also asked God, having just "mailed it in," to give me the ability to do something useful, substantive, and meaningful this day.

This Lent, as we reflect on our lives, it's helpful to not just focus on the "bad" things we do but also on the "good" ones, looking at motive and implementation.  Are we going through the motions?  Are we doing things to look holy to our friends?  Or are we fully investing ourselves in our faith practices, whether of worship, service, fellowship, for the glory of God?

Jesus told us to pray to our Father.  Let's follow his injunction - and do so with heart and soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power