Bats

Last night when I returned to church for a meeting, I found a surprise.  I'd entered via the back door, stepping inside into the dark, only to hear a hissing sound, as if air was escaping from a balloon.  When I turned on the light, I saw a little bat.  To be honest, I was caught of guard.  Yes, he was diminutive and furry, but he had teeth and looked very much like a startled creature of the night.

Others arrived and we were able to put him outside.  I didn't know what would happen with him overnight.  Would he freeze? Be eaten by another animal?  My conscience was salved when I came i this morning and saw he had tucked himself under an eave.  At last check, he was still snoozing away.

My bat moment reminded me of the Gospel's story about the thief who comes in the night, which is really about Jesus.  He won't just appear at an unexpected moment, but will shock us when he does, throwing us off balance.  Advent is a time to prepare for Jesus' arrival, for the excitement, discombobulation, and surprise that will attend his coming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power