Mad Dogs and Protestants

Good Congregationalist that I am, I wear a black academic robe, liturgical-seasonally appropriate stole, and shirt and tie in the pulpit. No chasubles, no miters, no albs for this preacher. And no dog collars – you know, those white bands worn with a black shirt that are usually sported by clerics of the Roman Catholic and Episcopal persuasions. Until now that is.


I finally broke down and ordered the shirt and collar today, not because of some dormant High Church tendencies (fear not, friends in Lebanon, incense is NOT coming to a church near you), but for the church’s upcoming Apple Festival at which I’ll be grilling hot dogs.


Come again?


No, there’s nothing ecclesiastical about manning the barbie. But it occurred to me that people would get a kick out of seeing a minister at the grill and wearing a collar will be a lot easier than going out in my robe.


Besides, those collars are part of our Free Church sartorial heritage. We just moved away, while others kept them. Indeed, since I’ve recently seen pictures of Baptists wearing collars, I think I’ve got the green light to do so myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power