Don't Touch My Junk

By now everyone is familiar with the immortal declaration "Don't touch my junk!" by an outraged passenger who was about to receive a pat-down by a TSA employee.

Even though I no longer fly for work, something I used to do with great regularity, I empathize with the sentiment. There's something frightfully un-American about what's been going on at our airports. And, at even deeper level, what's been transpiring is dehumanizing.

We're supposed to be free people in this country; instead, we're all being treated as suspected terrorists.

Our country was founded in part on a recognition of the value of the individual; the process of checking in for a flight degrades people.

We say we're going to beat the terrorists; instead, we surrender our civil liberties in the name of freedom.

Something is very, very wrong here.

While people speaking out and posting YouTube videos is encouraging, I wonder what is really going to change in the long run. My fear is not much.

And that, dear reader, is very sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power