Go to Hell!

Boy, am I looking forward to using that as a sermon title later this fall!

But, seriously, what are we to make of hell? Rob Bell's book "Love Wins" has stirred up a lot of controversy in evangelical circles for questioning the view of hell that has prevailed in so many quarters of the faith for so long. This is a good thing. People should be talking about - and questioning - core concepts like the afterlife. It's part of being a Christian, after all. (Ever notice how Jesus loved to ask questions?)

One reader of this post asked if I had other books to recommend. Two I'd suggest: The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis (the best conception of hell I've encountered) and N.T. Wright's Simply Christian, which does a great job of exploring the basics of the faith and then tackles what that means for how we live our common life as members of the church.

Comments

  1. Great post, Steve. I just finished The Great Divorce (I believe at your suggestion), and picked up Bell's book three months ago. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but definitely plan on doing so.
    -Jesse

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power