It's Out of Our Control

I found it ironic that after preaching about death on Sunday morning, I found myself on a Boeing jet out of Manchester.  Did you know that the 737 Max 8 is closely related to the 737 800?  Probably, you didn't and you don't care, but as I looked at the safety card, I found myself wondering. Yes, the odds of an aviation mishap are fleetingly small. That the airline would somehow still be flying Max 8s after the grounding defied rational thought.  Still. Still.

My flight, which had a connection to another 737 800 landed safely.  But I was reminded last night that sometimes things really are beyond our control.  Lent is a good time to remind ourselves of this.  We shouldn't be fatalistic, but we should learn to acknowledge that we are not masters of all we survey. When we do that, we can then choose to see the universe is a bleak, hospitable place or the Kingdom of God, a realm where the Lord reigns.  God or nothing?  That's an easy choice, one I can control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power