Sin of Over-reliance

Yesterday, I was in Boston with my old computer.  I was unable to use it to post my lenten reflection to Face Book.  Apparently, my old Mac Book isn't cool enough for Zuckworld.  This morning, my office computer is having trouble settling on a wifi network, and keeps switching back between the church's and the Fire Deparments.  Maybe my computer is on a pilgrimage.  It's all very annoying.  But it's also a reminder of our dependence on technology.  In many ways its a sin.

Consider the amount of time we spend on our smart phones, tablets, computers, etc.  Objectively, none of this is healthy.  Don't get me wrong: I like the internet, the access I have to news, the ability to buy books from anywhere, the means to stay in touch with people.  But as more time passes, the Faustian nature of the bargain we've struck with technology becomes ever clearer.  We were told we were building a modern Eden.  Instead, we're stuck in modern garbage pit.

Lent is a good time to reflect on our relationship with technology.  How does it affect our other relationships?  How does it warp them?  Let's ponder theses questions, answer them honestly, and with God's help adjust course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power