Whimsy

Whimsy is probably the first word one associates with the Lenten season, so bear with me.  Last night, I saw that WQXR, the classical station in New York, was hosting a livestream of pianist Jeremy Dank, playing excerpts from and commenting on Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier.  Dank played like the consumate pro he is and while at it looked sideways directly into the camera to talk with his viewers.  It was quite a performance.  Skilled, charming, whimsical, just what the proverbial doctor ordered during this weird time, this wholly unusual Lent.

It occurred to me during this season, that I'm seeing and connecting with people in many ways.  I participated in a Lenten roundtable discussion about the Resurrection in the morning, offering a needed reminder of the great thing that God does for us through Jesus, later I waved to parishioner driving by my house; he honked, and I felt a welcome sense of the familiar and normal.  I talked with another congregant who came by the church to do her sexton duties; social distancing was observed, but it was great to see this person.  And during the day I exchange emails, facebook messages, and talked on the phone.  All of this culminated in last night's engagement with Mr. Dank and some 350 other people.

I've mentioned this before but it is really hitting home with me this year that Lent is a time to repent for many things, including our warped perspective.  We take people for granted, often want to get on to the next thing, and don't take the time to recognize and appreciate the family or friends with which God has blessed us.  They are one of the anchors that will help us through these dark times.  They are the ones who will bring joy, comfort, and even whimsy into our lives.  For this, we should thank our God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Safe Harbor