Ready, Set, Go

Originally posted at fccleb.org on June 15, 2010

Last September I thought I’d try my hand at writing a blog. I posted one entry and then my bloggy muse fell silent. Now I’ve decided to give it another try. Talk about returning to the scene of the authorial crime!

Here’s what I wrote last fall …

Inspired by my friend Sam Barry, I have decided to take the plunge and begin blogging. My hope in emulating Sam, a real, live published author who wrote How to Play the Harmonica: and Other Life Lessons is that I, too, may someday write a book that someone will actually want to pay real money to read. Ideally, this book will be such a hit that I’ll sell so many copies that I’ll eventually be able to hire someone smarter, wittier, and taller to write this blog for me. Until that blessed (and unlikely) day occurs, I plan to share my thoughts and observations on the wild and wooly world of (dis)organized religion, which happens to be of particular interest to me as a minister in the United Church of Christ.

Now, for those of you shrinking back in terror, I am not about to climb into a virtual pulpit and tell you that you will be damned if you don’t agree with me or my understanding of Scripture. Instead, I hope to show that talking about faith and matters religious, while addressing some of what is most fundamental about the human experience, need not be soul-crushingly somber or a source of cringe-inducing discomfort, but can instead be something that is inspiring, liberating, and perhaps even fun. After all, while faith may be a serious business, those who profess it – people like you (perhaps) and me (definitely) – are an endless font of merriment (sometimes even intentionally so!). Some days I’ll try for the amusing, others the more reflective. Either way, I hope you’ll come along for the ride and maybe even share your thoughts with me.

In the time it has taken me to try posting a second blog entry, my friend Sam has published another book with his wife. I fully expect to post another entry long before their next book is released.

Really.

Yours in faith,

Steve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power