Waiting


As most of my readers know, I’ve been giving up coffee for Lent for many years now.  I usually drink a few cups a day, so this gives me an opportunity to reflect on this Lenten season multiple times, every day.  When I first started this, I had to break a caffeine addiction, but that eventually passed.  Still, I must deal with the absence of my favorite morning beverage.  It is fortunate, then, that I know this will come to an end, very early on the morning of April 12.  But I will have to wait for some other things, and I don’t know when they will come back: The camaraderie of coffee hour, the baristas at Lucky’s that know my name, and beyond this coffee situation, this whole darned coronavirus to become something that happened, and not something that is happening, to us.

The wait for something indeterminate can be hard and frustrating.  But it can be done.  One of the values of our Lenten disciplines, if we have adopted any, is learning how to wait.  And in our waiting, learning how to focus our energies in useful ways, like contemplating the God who came to us in Jesus and abides with us in the Holy Spirit.

So let us wait in faith this day.  Let us be confident that we are not alone.  Let us remember that this, too, shall pass and that God will be with us for the duration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Safe Harbor