F is for Falcon

Chip spotted it first as I approached the school.  Perched on a limb, surveying the grounds, was a peregrine falcon.  After Chip got out of the car and made his way into the building for class I drove away to find a better place to park.  The bird sat serenely, watching all about.  It was large, its head especially so.  The falcon radiated presence and command.

I was delighted to see something so  majestic at the start of the day.  It was an unexpected encounter with the wild, the created, the other.  It was a reminder of the glories of God's kingdom, a living symbol of God's grace.  This sighting also got me thinking: lf the many things we repent of during Lent, one should be how easily we - I - allow myself to be distracted from grace.  When we do, what a shame - for think of all we might be missing.  Let's focus on what's important, let's be alert.  For when we are, who knows what God will show us ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power