Distractions

It was supposed to be a blessing.  I'd gone into the sanctuary of Trinity Church in Copley Square earlier today for some quiet prayer.  Much to my delight, the organist was practising for tomorrow's service.  As I prayed, he played.  Then he began to play ... dang it!  I knew what he was playing.  Sort of.  But I couldn't get the title (nothing in the hymnal index rang a bell), nor could I remember the hymn tune's name.  It was driving me to distraction and my consternation was about to derail my time of prayer.  Fortunately, that's when the tourists arrived with their cameras.

No longer could I obsess about a hymn tune.  Now I had the distraction of chatty visitors to invade my quiet prayer.  And, for good measure, I could hear a siren.   This, of course, was everything came into focus.  I found myself experiencing all of these sounds as manifestations of God's creation, of its variety, of its hustle and bustle, and of its existence beyond my ability to describe or even name.

What a gift.  What a blessing.  I found myself back in my prayer zone.

P.S. the hymn was Dear Lord and Father of Mankind; the tune was Repton.  Watch, listen, and enjoy ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faNij71hh7o

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power