Surprised

For many years I've been using Microsoft's Hotmail program.  This morning, I discovered that Hotmail was officially a thing of the past, replaced with Outlook.  While my address remained unchanged, my folders were all in place, and my address book untouched, the user interface is quite different.  And, much to my annoyance, I've already discovered that the changes aren't skin deep; some features have undergone subtle adjustments, too.  All that's really left to me now is to settle upon a reaction: do I switch email programs?  Carry on but grumble about this unsought disruption?  Or should I find a way to acclimate myself and focus my attention on more important things?  I think you know which option I'll choose.  Switching programs will take too much effort.  Grousing might be satisfying for a time but will ultimately bring me no satisfaction.  So, it makes sense to go with acclimatization and moving on so I can spend my limited energy on things that really matter.

It seems oddly yet wonderfully apt that this should happen during Lent.  For during this season of reflection and repentance, we are afforded an opportunity to ponder what really matters - our relationship with God - and to set aside things that are not only not that important but often corrosive.  This may not seem convenient, but following the path of Jesus isn't always easy.  It is, however, life saving.

Which is a lot more than I can say for email, regardless of whether it's Hotmail, gmail, Outlook or some other program.

After all, when was the last time God spammed you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power