Flurry

Noun or verb?  Which came to mind when you saw the title of today's reflection?  Looking out the window, I can see snowflakes gently falling to the sky - a flurry (noun).  I also have lots to get done before day's end and will be rushing to and fro to do it all - another flurry (verb).

We often think of Lent as a noun, but in many ways, like flurry, it's also a verb (yes, I know, "to lent" is a new usage of the most inelegant kind, but please bear with me).  Lent, after all, isn't just the name of a liturgical season but, if we take it seriously, is something we also do: we reflect, we pray, we forgo things, we take things up, we repent, we try a new way, we open ourselves to God and his word.  We do lent (or at least we try).

To lent.  I hope and pray it's a verb we can all live into.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power