Just Say No

Nancy Reagan's campaign against drugs came in for a lot of ridicule from some quarters but the truth is, she was onto something.  The first step to resisting temptation, to turning to a new path from the one that is destructive or leading nowhere is sometimes simply saying 'no.'  I was reminded of this this morning when I went to breakfast and I was presented with a cup of black coffee shortly after I sat down.  Good service!  And tempting, too.  But I quickly told my waiter that it was Lent and I was drinking tea.  He whisked the java away and some minutes later, returned with hot water and tea.  It was that simple. That easy.  But sometimes we make things hard.  We focus on all that can go wrong, on the inconvenience, on the things that really aren't germane.

So, if you're struggling with your Lenten discipline of denial, or just getting bored with it and want to stop, just say no.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power