Raffie and Richie

This morning I was in Cambridge and, having some time before a meeting, I stopped in at one of my old breakfast haunts from my Div School days. The last time I was there, I weighed a good 50 pounds more than I do today. When I went in, I took a stool at the counter, and was given a menu like anybody walking in off the street. But after a little while, Raffie and Richie, the short order cooks, having exchanged some knowing glances and sotte voce comments, both looked me in the eye, smiled and said it was good to see me. They readily, and a bit sheepishly, confessed they didn't recognize at me first; I told them I wasn't surprise given the passage of time and my weight loss. We talked a bit, I enjoyed my breakfast, and off I went to my next engagement.

I think my experience this morning offers a glimpse of what it's like to wander into God's presence, especially during Advent. No matter how much time has passed, nor how much we've changed, God will always welcome us, embrace us, and make us feel that we've never left. So, as we await the arrival of the Christ child, let's not forget that we, too, are on a journey, that our arrival is anticipated and eagerly desired by none other than the One who created the universe -- and who made each and every one of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power