Letting Go 2

Visitors to my church study over recent months may have noticed the two tall, ever-growing stacks of books on the coffee table. To me, the table was just another surface on which I could new acquisitions until I figured out how and where to shelve them (oddly enough, that figuring out never seems to occur). A couple of weeks back, a fresh perspective in the person of Rachel walked into my office, took a look at the tower, and suggested that I might want to do something if I wanted people to feel welcome to visit. After all, why have a coffee table if there's no where to put coffee.

She was, of course, right. So I began to look at the stacks each day. Staring didn't do much, but it gave me something to mull over. Today, finally, I shuffled the books. And in doing so, I began to move others around. Which ultimately led to me to the conclusion that some would have to go.

If you know me, letting go of a book isn't an easy thing for me to do.

Still, it had to be done. So I've picked some to give to the Five Colleges Book Sale. Everyone wins: the colleges will have more inventory to sell, my visitors will have a place to put down their beverages when they visit and me -- well, I win by having a chance to remind myself that letting go isn't always easy. And that's true whether one's talking about books or habits or preferences or grudges. Still, it's worth the effort -- for clearing a table can be a form of hospitality while clearing one's heart and allowing the Spirit to work God's will is a form of devotion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power