Perspective

Since arriving in the Upper Valley two years ago to serve as First Congregational's pastor, I've visited DHMC quite a few times. Most of the time, it's been to see a member of the congregation. Today, it was take advantage of the Hitch's medical services (as most of you know, I had a "hernia repair" -- this makes me feel like a car, something the 8 year old boy in me thinks is just fine).

As you might imagine, the experience of registering, donning hospital fashions, riding on a gurney and in a wheelchair differs from signing into the clergy book and roaming at will. The sense of autonomy and freedom I normally have was replaced by one of dependence. On top of this, though, were additional feelings I was able to enjoy: trust, reliance, confidence. While I wasn't in charge, I knew I was in good hands. This, of course is what we're supposed to experience when we turn our lives over to God.

So, in addition to a successful procedure, I also enjoyed a different perspective today, one that reminded me of what it's like to, as the cliched but perceptive saying has it, "let go and let God."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power