Clouds

As I look out my study window I see a landscape colored by various shades of leaden gray and dull brown.  Things seem listless, flat.  I know in my head that the clouds will pass, that at some point in the future the sun will shine forth, but my soul remains troubled and unsettled.  Though I want to hold fast to the promise of what the future holds, I feel mired in the present moment.

Thank God for Lent.

Lent, often depicted as the downer season of the liturgical year, can, indeed should, take us to some dark places.  After all, during this time we're meant to look honestly and unflinchingly at our lives, to repent, and return to God.  That's much easier said than done.  Indeed, there's a reason we do this year after year after year.  Because we need to - because we need chance after chance after chance.

Thankfully, we are promised that after we travel through the shadows of pain and remorse, we will arrive somewhere bathed in the pure light of possibility.  Though the cross looms large at the end of the road, it won't be the final destination on our journey: that will be the empty tomb.  The promise of the future will overwhelm the disappointment of the present moment.  God assures of us this.

So when it appears that the clouds will never break, remember they will, that God's pure light will shine forth.  You, I, can count on it.

Comments

  1. Lent is about hope....We're on that road with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power