Table Hockey

Today was an unusually intense day on the pastoral care front, beginning very early in the morning and running right up to dinner time.  I repeatedly encountered God's grace as I visited and talked and prayed.  I felt blessed to be with the people I was visiting.  But I will confess: at six o'clock in the evening I was bushed.  So, it was Providential that I came home to not only find a hot meal waiting for me but a six year old who wanted to play table hockey.  Pulling the levers, manipulating the players, hitting the puck, cheering and sighing helped put things into perspective.  I experienced an immense surge of gratitude to God for life itself.  Which, of course, brings me to Lent.

Lent? Life?  Huh?

One of the reasons Lent is so important is that by helping us get things right with God it helps us to not only clear away distractions, not only change direction, not only make amends, it enables us to begin truly enjoying the great gift of life our Creator has given us.  That's right.  Lent isn't about guilt or punishment.  It's about enabling ourselves through prayer, introspection, repentance, and reconciliation to live fully in Christ the existence God has given each of us.  If that sounds abstract, take a moment to think about something that has brought you joy.  It could be small, it could be great; it matters not.  Then reflect on how God has created space within your life for you to enjoy that gift.  The joy you have derived from that event, that thing, that person, is a reflection of the joy that is God's love, the love we are meant to experience in living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power