Bah, Humbug

Saturday is traditionally an off day, a time of rest.  But I'm feeling frazzled.  There's stuff that needs to be done, things that need attention, schedules that have to be met.  Frankly, I'm not in very much of a holiday mood.  Or, as Mr. Scrooge says, "Bah, humbug!"

We often rake the old banker over the coals, but I'd like to argue for a little dyspepsia, a bit of cynicism, a dollop of darkness this Advent.  No, I'm not saying we should succumb to every bad feeling or thought that might come our way.  But I'd like to push back against the mandated seasonal cheer.  Our joy, our happiness should be grounded in reality, not marketing, not somebody's need for a picture perfect holiday. Besides, some of us have reason to be depressed our angry or just plain out of sorts.  Part of preparing for Advent is making room. And that includes space for those who aren't a bundle of cheer.

Give them time. Give me time. We'll come around.  In God's good time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power