Listen, Late Start

I'm off to a later than usual start today, but it's not because I've been loafing.  Really,

This morning I went to drop off a few things at the Listen store on the Miracle Mile.  When I got there, there was a line of cars, which I joined.  Eventually, it was my turn to make a donation.  The staff were helpful as always and took my things away.

Now, I'm grateful we have the Listen store here in the Upper Valley.  No-longer-needed items get a second life with somebody else.  But what does it say about our region that we can support a huge thrift store?  Something is not right here.  I think that this may be a situation where we need to look to the personal and the societal.  We should all be ready to give away that which we don't need, to make somebody else's day brighter and easier.  We should all give thanks for organizations like Listen.  But we should not be content with the status quo.  We should want, and work, for a world where everybody is provided for, has what they need, and doesn't have to rely on somebody else's generosity to get by.

During Advent we await the arrival of the baby Jesus.  What kind of world do we want to welcome him into?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power