Psalm 119:145-176: All In

Make your way down to verse 164 and consider what the psalmist has to say about his daily prayer routine.  Talk about commitment!  He's serious about offering praise to God.  He's all in.  After you've taken sometime to reflect on this verse, continue reading, and give thought to what else is said about the life of prayer.  Does this comport with the reality of your prayer life?

All too often in our modern world, we want to do and we want to do it now.  Prayer, though, calls us in another direction, one of being attentive.  We offer up our hopes and dreams, joys and concerns, fears and wishes, but we also listen and wait and pause.  The psalmist's way of prayer isn't the only valid model, but it does speak to a seriousness of purpose, a dedication, a devotedness and devoutness, that we should all aspire to bring to this most fundamental of spiritual disciplines, particularly during Lent, when we turn to God, seeking to turn back to him and his way.

145  I call with my whole heart; *
answer me, O LORD, that I may keep your statutes.
146  I call to you; oh, that you would save me! *
I will keep your decrees.
147  Early in the morning I cry out to you, *
for in your word is my trust.
148  My eyes are open in the night watches, *
that I may meditate upon your promise.
149  Hear my voice, O LORD, according to your loving-kindness; *
according to your judgments, give me life.
150  They draw near who in malice persecute me; *
they are very far from your law.
151  You, O LORD, are near at hand, *
and all your commandments are true.
152  Long have I known from your decrees *
that you have established them for ever.

153  Behold my affliction and deliver me, *
for I do not forget your law.
154  Plead my cause and redeem me; *
according to your promise, give me life.
155  Deliverance is far from the wicked, *
for they do not study your statutes.
156  Great is your compassion, O LORD; *
preserve my life, according to your judgments.
157  There are many who persecute and oppress me, *
yet I have not swerved from your decrees.
158  I look with loathing at the faithless, *
for they have not kept your word.
159  See how I love your commandments! *
O LORD, in your mercy, preserve me.
160  The heart of your word is truth; *
all your righteous judgments endure for evermore.

161  Rulers have persecuted me without a cause, *
but my heart stands in awe of your word.
162  I am as glad because of your promise *
as one who finds great spoils.
163  As for lies, I hate and abhor them, *
but your law is my love.
164  Seven times a day do I praise you, *
because of your righteous judgments.
165  Great peace have they who love your law; *
for them there is no stumbling block.
166  I have hoped for your salvation, O LORD, *
and have fulfilled your commandments.
167  I have kept your decrees *
and I have loved them deeply.
168  I have kept your commandments and decrees, *
for all my ways are before you.

169  Let my cry come before you, O LORD; *
give me understanding, according to your word.
170  Let my supplication come before you; *
deliver me, according to your promise.
171  My lips shall pour forth your praise, *
when you teach me your statutes.
172  My tongue shall sing of your promise, *
for all your commandments are righteous.
173  Let your hand be ready to help me, *
for I have chosen your commandments.
174  I long for your salvation, O LORD, *
and your law is my delight.
175  Let me live, and I will praise you, *
and let your judgments help me.
176  I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost; *
search for your servant,
for I do not forget your commandments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power