Psalm 130: Waiting for God or Godot?

Who are you waiting for?  What are you waiting for?  Samuel Becket mined this question for all its existential worth in his play "Waiting for Godot."  So, too, does the psalmist.  True, there's nothing of the absurd to Psalm 130, but it still confronts us with the matter of our expectations, the repository of our hopes, even the focus of our lives.  Here, the psalmist waits on the LORD, and he waits in hope.  What about you?  What about me?  Do we have the patience, do we have the faith?  Who do we watch for?  Jesus or the latest celebrity?  As we begin this fifth week of Lent, let's pray about and reflect on our priorities, asking our Creator to set us on a new path so that our waiting is not in vain.  Remember, while Godot never shows up, God already has.
130:1 Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD.

130:2 Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications!

130:3 If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, Lord, who could stand?

130:4 But there is forgiveness with you, so that you may be revered.

130:5 I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope;

130:6 my soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning, more than those who watch for the morning.

130:7 O Israel, hope in the LORD! For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is great power to redeem.

130:8 It is he who will redeem Israel from all its iniquities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power