What Needs To Be Done

I'm trying to do what needs to be done at the church quickly so I can take my sermon reading home to the parsonage before the weather turns nasty.  I'm rushing, I'm busy, I'm focused.  The door bell rings.  Who are these people?  I don't recognize their vehicle in the parking lot.  I don't have time to this.  Don't they know there's a no'easter coming?  The Southern telemarketer who called me earlier did.  Don't they?

I go to open the door.  Relief is expressed.  They need gas.  I invite them in.  I get a card.  We chit chat.  I surprise the person needing assistance when I tell I her, no, there aren't forms to fill out.  It's why were here, to help our neighbors.  We exchange some more pleasantries.  The person says thanks and leaves.

My time is mine again.  And I thank God for reminding me that while I was worried about getting done what needed to be done at the church I was in the midst of doing what needed to be done at the church - show hospitality to, share some of God's bounty with, a stranger on a snowy day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 51:1-18: Sacrifice

Shortest Day

Girl Power